Since the early 1500s, amaretto, an almond liqueur, has been brewed by families around Italy.
The conflation of amaro (bitter) and amore (love) has led to associations with romance.
The Amaretto Sour celebrates this bitter love — the marzipan sweet and citrus sour taste can be endulged by both occasional drinkers and cocktail enthusiasts around the world.
Combining amaretto, bourbon, lemon, sugar and egg white… the creamy texture and almond, apricot and cherry notes make this cocktail all class.
What you’ll need:
- Amaretto (we like Disaronno) (45ml)
- Bourbon Whiskey (we like Bulleit) (15ml)
- Lemon Juice (30ml)
- Sugar Syrup (20ml)
- Egg White (1)
- Ice (cubes)
Garnishes: Brandied Cherry & Lemon Twist
What you’ll do:
- Grab a cocktail shaker and add the amaretto, bourbon, lemon juice, sugar syrup and egg white.
- Dry shake all the ingredients for 10 seconds (this creates the foam to sit on top of the drink)
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake hard for another 10-15 seconds.
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Strain your shaken concoction into the glass quickly — this will give you that lovely frothy texture to your cocktail.
- Garnish with the brandied cherry and lemon twist (pinch the lemon twist over the cocktail to release the citrus oils).
Done and dusted.
Congrats, you have completed creating the bittersweet love story that is the Amaretto Sour.